Sunday, January 14, 2007

I can't feel my toes!

These last couple days have been pretty brutally cold here in CO. Thursday and Friday we didn't make it out of the single digits, so it made working in that weather extremely cold. However on Friday we were lucky enough to burn up and enormous pile of scrap wood (we are talking 10 feet into the ground, 15 feet above ground and 30 feet in diameter) and that was pretty crazy. It put off enough heat for us to work in just t-shirts and gloves, as we tended to the fire and made sure it did not get out of control.

On Friday morning I took Boomer in to get neutered and found out much to my dismay that they want me to wait another month before getting it done. Apparently one testicle still has not dropped for him, and they would much rather wait until he is closer to 6 months. Which is pretty unfortunate, because I lost out on an hour of work time just to bring him down there and find out that it cannot be done. It is amazing how much extra add ons they try to get you to do also. There is a 50 dollar blood test, a 35 dollar microchip implantation, and then a 12.50 registration fee that they highly recommend. All the add ons make this quite the operation!

Over the weekend I made it into town to make a few phone calls, buy some groceries, and get a phone card, so that I will be able to try calling back the Canyonlands National Park person during one of my lunch breaks this week. It will be nice to be able to make a few calls without depending on people calling me from now on.

Other than that not much new has happened - Friday night we got another 3-4 inches of snow and I woke up to another 3-4 today...it is supposed to be warm throughout the rest of the week, but then snow again over the weekend, so we will see what it brings. I hope it's not too bad, as one my good friend Miguel just got back from Texas last week and Teresa and Sarah should be back from Costa Rica soon as well, and I would like to be able to meet up with them at some point!

Today I am going to leave you with an interesting quote I came across today while reading "The Golden Spruce," by John Vaillant. It's a true story about a logger turned environmentalist, and this quote made me stop and think a little, so I thought I'd share it...

"If you had the power, to create all matter, including life, and you could synchronize those creations, perfectly, what would you do if one life form, was apparently abusing, all other life, including themselves?

If the original 'INTENT,' of your creation, had apparently been twisted, from 'RESPECT,' to hatred, from compassion, to oppression, from generosity, to greed, and from dignity, to defilement, what would you do?

How would you convince, people, that material temptations, social status, and education institutions, are used, to preserve and perpetuate, the status quo, with very little real, consideration, for the future, of life, on earth?

...How would you, as "CREATOR OF LIFE," show your contempt and revulsion, for the institutions, and the individuals, who are supposed to protect life, but are apparently, doing something quite different instead?"

No comments: